The information contained gives a general idea about “Botox” and does not replace a consultation.
The consultation is personal and specific to the individual concerned.
All consultations involve taking a thorough medical history and a physical examination of the relevant area involved.
What is Botox?
- Botox is short for Botulinum toxin and is a product made by one particular company. There is another brand called Dysport
- Botulinum toxin is a very strong toxin produced by a bacteria
- It stops nerves working which is why in high enough doses it can kill
How does Botox help?
- Wrinkles in the skin increase in number and depth as we get older.
- Small, shallow wrinkles are caused by the sun.
- Deeper wrinkles such as on the forehead (frown lines) and around the eyes (crows feet) are caused by the action of the muscles underneath.
- By paralysing these muscles and preventing them from working, the wrinkles they produce then disappear.
Where can it be used and how long will it last?
- Botox can be used around the eyes for crows feet, on the forehead for frown lines and on the neck for bands plus occasionally other areas.
- It takes about 3 days to work and then can last between 3 and 5 months on average.
- It can then be repeated.
Are there any side-effects?
- The muscles that are paralysed are only the muscles of expression (such as frowning) and so the loss of them only loses that particular action.
- It is very important that Botox is administered by a trained individual who knows where to put it and how much to use.
- Botox can paralyse other muscles if placed incorrectly. Around the eye this could produce a drooping eyelid for instance.
- The site of injection can be a little sore for a day or so.
- Occasionally infection has been described at the injection site but this is rare.
- It is not permanent and so would need repeating.
- Where there is excess skin present as well, such as bands in the neck, then Botox can actually worsen this effect as the muscle causing the band will sag. A neck lift should be advised here.