The information contained gives a general idea about the operation and does not replace a consultation.
The consultation is personal and specific to the individual concerned.
All consultations involve taking a thorough medical history and a physical examination of the relevant area involved.
This is one of the most popular operations performed by Plastic Surgeons.
How does a breast augmentation help?
- Ideal for women who have small breasts.
- Can help women who have had a sudden increase followed by decrease in size (usually after pregnancy) and have lost breast volume.
- Can improve breasts that are unequal in size.
Choosing your breast implants
- Your surgeon should meet with you twice before undertaking a breast augmentation.
- You should be able to see and try the different implant sizes available and your surgeon advise as to which would be the more appropriate. This depends on your own personal wishes but also what can be achieved with your breasts.
- Implants can be round or shaped (tear-drop) and choice will depend on the look you wish to achieve. A round implant will give a fuller look to the upper part of the breast.
Tell me about the operation?
- Operation takes 1 hour.
- Discharged home either the same or following day.
- Dissolving stitches will heal on their own.
- Takes on average 3 months for the breasts to settle in terms of healing.
What are the possible complications?
- Scars – these will be under the breast in or just above the breast fold.
- Infection – this can happen after the operation and may require antibiotics.
- Bleeding – occasionally a collection can form in the breast which would need removal.
- Capsule – occasionally a firm scar can form around the implant which can cause some discomfort.
- Rupture – modern implants contain a firm silicone which is highly resistant to rupture.
These are the commonest complications. Other more rare ones would also be discussed at the consultation.
When can I get back to work?
- A rest period of 2 weeks is usually recommended.
- Return to lighter duties initially to prevent soreness.
- A non-underwired bra such as a sports bra should be worn day and night for up to 6 weeks to give added support.
Does breast enhancement affect breast scans (mammograms) in the future?
- No. In general, enough of the breast can be seen by views taken from several angles.